Allotment Journal: Plot Update. It’s been a fruitful week!

Most of the work we’ve done this week has oddly been to do with fruit. I suppose it’s that time of year,  we have given the fruit trees and fruit plants our priority mainly so we can protect the emerging crop.

Strawberries

The strawberry plants on plot one have been flowering for a couple of weeks now and it won’t be long before fruit starts to form. Once the berries start to ripen, the brightly coloured soft fruit is easy pray for hungry birds. To me, netting strawberry plants is essential.

This year we wanted a much more simple and aesthetically pleasing structure than last year. Last year we had a huge ‘very allotment’ cage structure.  With the exceptionally strong winds we experienced, it ended up resembling something like the leaning Tower of Pisa!  Picking fruit was a challenge as we would get tangled up in the metres of side netting as we entered the cage and it was impossible to stand up. So we found the hoops from last years brassica cage and used those. We placed a fruit ‘grade’ net over the top and pinned it down. This should allow the bees to continue to pollinate the flowers and provide easy access for us. We can simply lift the net, pick the fruit and replace. Not perfect, but it certainly looks better and is much more practical than last years effort!

Image

Fruit Trees

Last year the fruit trees on the orchard plot produced a lot of young fruit in April/May however, the baby fruits fell from the tree in June. Something known as June drop. The tree literally ‘drops’ any diseased or damaged fruit from the tree. At the time we were new to fruit trees and knew absolutely nothing about June drop. We were horrified that literally 5 pears, and a single plum remained. All the cherries had been eaten by the birds!

In a bid to bring the trees back to health we pruned them in the summer and this year I decided to spray them with seaweed fertilizer. I’m hoping this will help give the leaves and the fruit some ‘organic’ protection against disease and help aid fruit development. I have no idea if it will help, but I don’t like chemical sprays so I thought it was worth a try. We will see if it’s helped come June.

The emerging cherries

Image

And emerging pears

Image

Tayberries

We have finally tied in the unruly tayberries. We removed the old structure, dug the bed, removed all weeds, added larger posts and then piled a large bag of our own compost around the plants roots. Shortly afterwards we had a visitor. A very friendly baby robin.

Image

Before ‘Octopussy’ was tied in

Image

And after

Image

We probably need to put in a better structure next year to help improve the air circulation. But at least we will no longer get snagged every time we pass by! I think we will net the plants shortly.

Raspberries

We also planted our 6 raspberry plants on the orchard plot.

Image

We will build a support structure for them shortly.

And Finally…….

This is what a rhubarb flower looks like if left on the plant. I was passing an abandoned plot and saw this magnificent flowering spire.

Image

It’s an extremely tall flower spike, with ‘pomegranate seed’ type flowers that dangle down and glisten in sun.  It’s rather unusual, almost out of this world, yet strangely beautiful when seen up close.

Image

Posted in Allotment Journal, Fruit, Rhubarb, Strawberries, Tayberry

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Calendar
May 2014
M T W T F S S
« Apr   Jun »
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
%d bloggers like this: